[EN] NHL Gaming World Championship 2020 - Official Rules
The 2020 NHL Gaming World Championship™
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT WILL NOT INCREASE CHANCES OF WINNING. SUBJECT TO ALL APPLICABLE LAWS, REGULATIONS, AND ORDINANCES. VOID OUTSIDE EUROPEAN REGION (AS DEFINED BELOW), AND WHERE PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW IN THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA.
The 2020 NHL Gaming World Championship™ is an esports tournament for players of the Electronic Arts NHL® ‘20 video game using the Hockey Ultimate Team (“HUT”) mode on Xbox One or PlayStation 4. Play will consist of four (4) rounds (each a “Round”), as follows:
- Round 1: An “Online Open Play” round consisting of an approximately four (4) week open-play period;
- Round 2: An “Online Play-in Bracket” round consisting of play-in brackets to qualify for a Regional Final;
- Round 3: A “Regional Final” of the top eight (8) Players from the Online Play-in Bracket for each of the United States Region, Canadian Region and European Region (each as defined below); and
- Round 4: The “World Final” of the top three (3) Players from each of the Regional Finals.
During Online Open Play, Players may participate using an existing or newly-created HUT team (for certainty, a different HUT library must be used for each of the Xbox One and PlayStation 4), subject to the settings described in Section 5 below and the other terms herein. Following Online Open Play, the top one hundred twenty-eight (128) Players (i.e., the top thirty-two (32) Players from each Weekly Play Period (as defined below)) during Online Open Play for each of the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 consoles in each of the three (3) Regions (as defined below) will continue to play with his/her/their existing HUT library in the Online Play-in Bracket. Players who finish in the top four (4) positions in each Online Play-in Bracket will advance to the Regional Final for the applicable Region (i.e., such that four (4) Players for each of the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 Online Play-in Brackets will play in each of the three (3) Regional Finals) where Players will begin play with newly-created HUT teams drafted in a HUT Team Draft as described in Section 6 below. Players who finish in the top two (2) positions at each of the Regional Finals qualify for the World Final. In addition, Players who finish in the third (3rd) and fourth (4th) positions at each respective Regional Final will play against one another in a consolation final match, and the winner of each such consolation final match will also qualify for the World Final. At the World Final, nine (9) Players (i.e., three (3) Players from each Region) will again begin play with newly-created HUT teams drafted in a HUT Team Draft to become the Winner of the 2020 NHL Gaming World Championship.
The 2020 NHL Gaming World Championship (the “Tournament”) is sponsored by NHL Enterprises, L.P., NHL Enterprises Canada, L.P., and NHL Enterprises B.V. (together, the “Sponsor”), 1185 Avenue of the Americas, 15th Floor, New York, NY 10036. The Online Open Play Round and the Online Play-in Bracket Round are each hosted by Electronic Arts (“EA”).
- ELIGIBILITY: In order to participate in the Tournament and be eligible to win a prize, participants (each a “Player” and collectively, the “Players”) at the time of entry and at all times during the Tournament, must:
(a) have an active Xbox Live or PlayStation Network account;
(b) have an EA account and agree to the EA terms and conditions relating to service, data and privacy (terms.ea.com, privacy.ea.com);
(c) own or have access to an authorized copy of the NHL ‘20 video game with HUT mode connected to their valid EA account; and
(d) be at least sixteen (16) years of age or older.
This Tournament is only open to legal residents physically located in the United States Region, the Canadian Region and the European Region who meet the criteria set forth above and as follows. Any Player who has not yet reached the age of majority in such Player’s state/province/country and is at least the age of sixteen (16) must obtain the permission of his/her/their parent/legal guardian in order to enter and play, must be accompanied by his/her/their parent/legal guardian in the event he/she/they advances to a Regional Final and/or the World Final (each as defined below), and if the Player wins a Prize (defined below), that Prize will be awarded in the name of such Player’s parent/legal guardian.
Employees, officers, directors, representatives and agents of Sponsor, the National Hockey League (“NHL”), the NHL member teams (each an “NHL Team” and collectively “NHL Teams”), NHL Interactive CyberEnterprises, LLC (all foregoing entities including Sponsor, collectively, the “NHL Entities”), EA, Face IT Limited, Overlord Media Limited, NBCUniversal/Comcast, Rogers, Viasat, Engine Shop II LLC, any venues in connection with the Tournament, and each of their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, representatives, consultants, contractors, legal counsel, advertising, public relations, promotional, fulfilment, and marketing agencies, website providers, web masters (collectively, the “Tournament Entities”) and members of their immediate families (spouses, parents, siblings and children, regardless of where they live) and those living in the same household (whether related or not) are not eligible to enter or win. Sponsor and/or EA reserve the right to verify the eligibility of Players and Winners (as defined below).
Participation constitutes a Player’s full and unconditional agreement to: (i) these Official Rules for the Tournament (“Official Rules”); (ii) EA’s policies (available at terms.ea.com, privacy.ea.com); and (iii) Sponsor’s decisions regarding and interpretations of these Official Rules, which are final and binding in all matters related to the Tournament. In the event of a conflict, the English-language version of these Official Rules will govern. Sponsor’s and/or EA’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
- REGIONS: Players must identify their actual country of residence and location at registration, which will determine eligibility for the Tournament. Participation in the Tournament is based on the Players’ Region and Players will play against other Players from only that Region until the World Final. The eligible regions (each a “Region”) are:
“United States Region” – the 50 United States and the District of Columbia
“Canadian Region” – the provinces and territories of Canada
“European Region” – deemed to consist of the following countries only: Andorra, Albania, Armenia, Austria, Aland Islands, Azerbaijan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Belgium, Bulgaria, Belarus, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Faro Islands, France, Germany, Georgia, Guernsey, Gibraltar, Greece, Holy See (Vatican City State), Hungary, Ireland, Isle of Man, Iceland, Italy, Jersey, Lichtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Latvia, Monaco, Republic of Moldova, Montenegro, Republic of Macedonia, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Svalbard and Jan Mayen Islands, San Marino, Turkey, and the United Kingdom
Players from outside of these eligible Regions may not participate in the Tournament.
- TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE: The Tournament begins with Online Open Play on March 11, 2020 and ends at the close of play of the World Final, as further described in the Schedule below. All times in the Tournament refer to Eastern Time (“ET”) unless otherwise indicated. Sponsor’s computer is the official Tournament clock.
Round 1: Online Open Play
March 11, 2020
April 5, 2020
Round 2: Online Play-in Bracket
EU: Day 1 – April 11, 2020
Day 2 – April 18, 2020
US: Day 1 – April 18, 2020
Day 2 – April 25, 2020
CA: Day 1 – April 25, 2020
Day 2 – May 2, 2020
EU: Day 1 – April 11, 2020
Day 2 – April 18, 2020
US: Day 1 – April 18, 2020
Day 2 – April 25, 2020
CA: Day 1 – April 25, 2020
Day 2 – May 2, 2020
HUT Team Draft (Online) – Regional Finals
EU: April 25, 2020
US: May 2, 2020
CA: May 9, 2020
Round 3: Regional Finals
EU (Copenhagen, DE): May 16, 2020
EU: May 17, 2020
HUT Team Draft (Online) – World Final
June 3, 2020
Round 4: World Final
June 17, 2020 (Las Vegas)
June 17/18, 2020
The specific timing and duration for each Round and the HUT Team Draft will be determined by Sponsor and will be made available/communicated at a future date. Sponsor may update the schedule (including the location) by providing advance notice to Players. Players are responsible for any visa, permits or other immigration documentation. Players should be available to travel on the day before and after the applicable Start Date and End Date.
- REGISTRATION: Registration for the Tournament (beginning with Online Open Play) opens at 11:00 AM (Eastern) on February 27, 2020 and lasts until 11:59 PM (Eastern) on March 29, 2020, and will take place on the designated registration page on FaceIt.com. Players must register before 11:59 PM (Eastern) on the Sunday prior to a Weekly Play Period in order to be eligible for that and any following Weekly Play Period(s). Game play will take place within a designated section of NHL ‘20 using Xbox Live or the PlayStation Network, as applicable. Players may register one (1) time for each of the Xbox One and PlayStation 4; provided, a Player may only participate in one (1) Online Play-in Bracket.
- CONSOLE REQUIREMENTS/GAME SETTINGS: Players may use either/both of the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 consoles for Online Open Play and the Online Play-in Bracket. The Regional Finals and the World Final will be played on the PlayStation 4 only. Sponsor will provide all consoles, controllers and other equipment for the Regional Finals and for the World Final; provided, Players who advanced using Xbox consoles may use Xbox controllers and Sponsor-provided adapters.
The following setting shall be used for all games. To the extent any game settings are not mentioned in the list below, they shall be left at the default setting. If incorrect settings are used and Sponsor determines that affected the outcome of any game, a Player may be disqualified.
- Game Mode: HUT
- Difficulty: All-Star
- Period Length: 4 Minutes
- Game Type: Competitive
- Rules: NHL
- Fighting: On
- Penalties: On
- Injuries: On (Online Open Play) / Off (For Remaining Rounds)
- Offsides: Delayed
- Icing: Hybrid Icing
- Tie Break: Continuous Overtime
- Position Lock: Off
- Music and Announcers Turned Off
- QUALIFICATION/SEEDING PROCESS:
Online Open Play: Players will compete in an Online Open Play period through which they will play head-to-head games against other Players from the same Region using the same console. To create a game, a Player must visit the Tournament page within the NHL ‘20 game and select “Play Game.” Games created and played via other means will not accrue points in the Tournament. Players will be ranked during each period from March 11 – 15, March 18 – 22, March 25 – 29 and April 1 - 5 (each, a “Weekly Play Period”) during the Online Open Play based on the number of wins earned in up to twenty-five (25) games (Players may not play more than twenty-five (25) Tournament games during a given Weekly Play Period). Ties between Players with the same number of wins during a Weekly Play Period will be resolved based on (1) Skill Rating (which considers, among other factors, quality of opponent) and (2) goal differential during that Weekly Play Period. EA will publish a continuous weekly leaderboard for each console and Region. Following each of the four (4) Weekly Play Periods, the top thirty-two (32) Players for each of the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 consoles in each of the United States Region, Canadian Region and European Region for that week will earn a “Collectible.” Players’ points reset following each Weekly Play Period. A Player who has already earned a Collectible for any console is ineligible to earn another (and, if a Player earns it for two (2) consoles in the same week, Sponsor shall designate to which console the Collectible applies). Please note: The rankings displayed on the leaderboard may not be accurate or in real-time. Sponsor reserves the right to alter the rankings displayed if there has been unsportsmanlike or other behavior prohibited by these Tournament Rules. A Player will not advance to the Online Play-In Round even if the leaderboard should so indicate unless and until Sponsor has verified the Player and officially announced such Player as one of the top one hundred twenty-eight (128) Players for the Xbox One or PlayStation 4 console (as applicable).
Online Play-in Bracket: Following the conclusion of Online Open Play, the top one hundred twenty-eight (128) Players for each of the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 consoles (i.e., those thirty-two (32) Players from each Weekly Play Period who have earned a Collectible) will be eligible to participate in the applicable Online Play-in Bracket. Players will be seeded in the applicable Online Play-in Bracket based on (1) total number of wins during a Weekly Play Period, (2) Skill Rating, (3) goal differential during a Weekly Play Period, (4) the earlier-to-qualify Player and, in the event the tie remains, (5) a coin flip.
Each Online Play-in Bracket will be single-elimination and consist of head-to-head Best-of-Three series (played on the applicable days listed above). Players who qualify for the Online Play-in Bracket will receive an email with instructions on how and when to join the Online Play-in Bracket for their Region on the designated match page on FaceIt.com. Players must visit the designated URL to learn their opponents and match schedules. In order to compete in the Online Play-in Bracket, Players must confirm registration and check-in within one hundred twenty (120) minutes of the start of the applicable portion of the Online Play-in Bracket as directed by the online Tournament administrator. Failure to timely register and check-in for the Online Play-in Bracket or any game for the Online Play-in Bracket that cannot be timely resolved by the online Tournament administrator may result in disqualification. Players must self-report the results of each game for the Online Play-in Bracket on the designated match page on FaceIt.com in accordance with the published instructions. The online Tournament administrator may require confirmation of the results of a game in the event of a dispute or disagreement so Players must capture screenshots of the pre-game lobby and the final seconds of each game through the applicable console and/or a camera as evidence. Disputes over game results must be raised within ten (10) minutes of the end of a game. Disputes must be surfaced through the online Tournament administrator on FaceIt.com by pressing “Call Admin” on the match page. All Players are required to be logged into the Tournament support channel for the duration of the Online Play-in Bracket. If a Player does not remain in the Tournament support channel and the failure to do so disrupts the operation of the Tournament (e.g., by preventing the resolution of disputes) in Sponsor’s or the online Tournament administrator’s reasonable discretion, that Player may be disqualified. Notwithstanding, all disputes will be settled in Sponsor’s reasonable discretion using reasonably available evidence.
By winning series, Players advance in the applicable Online Play-in Bracket and will earn the applicable Online Play-in Bracket Prizes described in Section 12 below. The final four (4) Players for each Online Play-in Bracket advance to the applicable Regional Finals. However, each Online Play-in Bracket will be completed (including a consolation final) to determine seeding in the Regional Finals.
Regional Finals: Each Regional Final will feature the top eight (8) Players (i.e., the top four (4) finishers from each of the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 Online Play-in Brackets) from the applicable Region. The scheduled dates and locations for each Regional Final are set forth in Section 3 above. Players will play to finish in the top three (3) positions at the Regional Final in order to qualify for the World Final, scheduled to be played in Las Vegas, NV, USA.
Players will compete against each other in the Regional Finals using newly-created HUT teams drafted only from a pool of NHL players provided by EA in accordance with the section entitled “HUT Team Draft” below. For certainty, a Player’s pre-existing HUT team may continue to be used outside of the Tournament.
The Regional Finals will be an eight (8)-Player single-elimination bracket (subject to the consolation final match) consisting of head-to-head Best-of-Three series featuring eight (8) Players from the applicable Region. Seeding is based on the results of the Online Play-in Bracket as follows:
- PS4 Online Play-in Bracket #1 vs XBOX Online Play-in Bracket #4
- XBOX Online Play-in Bracket #1 vs PS4 Online Play-in Bracket #4
- PS4 Online Play-in Bracket #2 vs XBOX Online Play-in Bracket #3
- XBOX Online Play-in Bracket #2 vs PS4 Online Play-in Bracket #3
Within each Region, the winners of (1) and (4) above will play each other and the winners of (2) and (3) above will play each other in a semifinal round. The winners of those semifinal round matches automatically qualify for the World Final, though the final round will be played to determine seeding at the World Final and the winner of the Regional Runner-up Prize and the Regional Champions Prize.
In addition, the losers of the semifinal round matches will play one another in a consolation final match and the winner of that consolation final match will also qualify for the World Final.
World Final: The World Final will feature the top three (3) Players from each Regional Final (i.e., nine (9) total Players) who will compete in a two (2)-stage event consisting of (a) a three (3)-person runner-up round robin tournament between the winners of the consolation final matches at each of the Regional Finals, and (b) an eight (8)-Player single-elimination bracket consisting of head-to-head Best-of-Three series featuring the top (2) finishers from each Region and the top (2) two finishers from the Runner-up Round Robin.
The three (3) winners of the consolation final matches at each Region will play each other in a Best-of-Three round robin tournament, with the top two (2) finishers advancing to the quarterfinal round of the World Final. In the event of a tied record for the round robin, the Players who will advance to the quarterfinal round of the World Final will be determined by (1) win percentage (across all games played, not simply series won) during the round robin tournament, (2) goal differential in the runner-up round robin, (3) total goals scored in the runner-up round robin, (4) regulation (not overtime) wins in the runner-up round robin, (5) shortest amount of time to win in overtime in the runner-up round robin, and (6) in the event the tie remains, a coin flip.
Seeding for the World Final will be determined by: (1) placement at the Regional Final, (2) as between the top two (2) Players from each Region, (A) win percentage (across all games played, not simply series won) at the Regional Final, (B) goal differential at the Regional Final, (C) total goals scored at the Regional Final, and (D) in the event the tie remains, a coin flip, and (3) as between the two (2) Players who advance from the round robin, using the advancement criteria in the previous paragraph.
The loser of each semifinal round of the World Final will play each other in a Best-of-Three consolation final match to determine the applicable World Final Prizes. The winner of each semifinal round will compete in the final round to be crowned the Winner and champion of the World Final.
HUT Team Draft: Prior to each Regional Final and again prior to the World Final, EA will administer an online “serpentine” draft through which each participating Player will draft a twenty-five (25) person HUT team from among two hundred eighty (280) total NHL players designated by Sponsor and EA for each Regional Final and from among three hundred and five (305) total NHL players designated by Sponsor and EA for the World Final. Sponsor and EA will provide the list of available NHL players a minimum of seventy-two (72) hours prior to the scheduled draft date. Each roster must be comprised of twelve (12) forwards, six (6) defensemen, two (2) goaltenders, and five (5) additional skaters, and represent a current NHL team. Players may draft available NHL players in any order. If at any point during the draft, a choice would prevent a Player from completing the draft with a valid roster, that Player’s choice will be rejected and the Player must choose another NHL player who will allow for a valid roster upon completion of the draft. Once an NHL player is chosen, no other Player will be able to choose that NHL player. No trades may be conducted either during the draft or after the draft concludes.
The first seed in each Regional Final and the World Final will have the first pick of player and NHL team to represent, the second seed will have the second pick of player and NHL team, and the first round will continue until each Player has picked his/her/their first player and team. The lowest seed will then have the next pick of player (i.e., the first pick in the second round) and the draft will proceed in reverse order through the end of the second round. The first seed will then have the first pick in the third round and the draft will continue with the same pattern until each team has a full roster. For certainty, seeding for purposes of the HUT Team Draft for the Regional Finals will be based on final placement position during the applicable Online Play-in Bracket, with a coin flip to determine placement between Players who qualify on the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 consoles.
In the event a Player is unable to attend the applicable HUT Team Draft as scheduled, that Player may submit to EA a customized ranking of the available NHL players, which list EA will use strictly to draft the Player’s roster, subject to the foregoing roster requirements. Otherwise, in the event a participating Player does not attend the applicable HUT Team Draft or does not make his/her/their pick within a reasonable amount of time designated by EA, then the next-available NHL player, subject to the foregoing roster requirements, will be assigned to that Player’s HUT Team.
- PLAYER CONDUCT: Players must adhere to the standards of sportsmanship and EA Rules of Conduct available at terms.ea.com, which are incorporated into these Official Rules and made binding on the Players. Without limiting the foregoing, the following are also prohibited behaviors:
- Violating any federal, state, or provincial law, rule or regulation, or any of these Tournament Rules, as determined by Sponsor in its reasonable discretion.
- Using any software or program that damages, interferes with or disrupts an EA service or another’s computer or property.
- Interfering with or disrupting another Player’s use of an EA service.
- Use of another person’s EA account or HUT team.
- Attempting to gain an unfair competitive advantage inconsistent with standard NHL ’20 gameplay.
- Harassing, threatening, bullying, embarrassing, spamming or doing anything else to another Player that is unwanted, such as repeatedly sending unwanted messages or making personal attacks or statements about race, sexual orientation, religion, heritage, etc.
- Acting in a manner that antagonizes community standards or reflects unfavorably upon Sponsor or EA.
- Match fixing, match dodging, or engaging in any behavior that otherwise constitutes cheating or disrupts the integrity of the 2020 NHL Gaming World Championship.
- Exploiting any bug or glitch in the NHL ’20 gameplay or software.
Sponsor and/or the Tournament administrator will have the right to monitor compliance with these Official Rules and investigate possible breaches of these Official Rules. By agreeing to these Official Rules, each Player agrees to cooperate with the Sponsor and/or the Tournament administrator in any internal or external investigation that the Sponsor conducts relating to a suspected violation of these Official Rules or applicable law. Players have a duty to tell the truth in connection with any investigation conducted by or for the Sponsor and have a further duty not to obstruct any such investigation, mislead investigators or withhold evidence.
Upon discovery of any Player committing any violations of these Official Rules, the Sponsor may issue the following penalties: (a) public warnings; (b) game forfeitures and/or match forfeitures; (c) prize forfeitures; and/or (d) suspensions or disqualifications, in its discretion.
Unless expressly stated otherwise, violations of these Official Rules are subject to disciplinary action, whether or not they were committed intentionally. Any attempt to violate these Official Rules is also subject to disciplinary action. The Sponsor’s determination as to the appropriate disciplinary action will be final and binding.
Sponsor’s and/or EA’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
- IN-GAME NAMES/AVATARS: In-game names/avatars are the responsibility of the Players but shall otherwise be consistent with general standards of decency, shall not be derogatory to any Tournament Entities, shall not be profane or offensive, shall not violate the proprietary rights of any third party and shall be subject to change as required by Sponsor.
- PLAYER APPAREL, SPONSORSHIP AND PROMOTION: All apparel worn by Players in connection with the Regional Finals and World Final shall be subject to approval by Sponsor to the extent permitted by applicable law. Players may not display or promote any third-party brands without prior approval by Sponsor. Further, Sponsor may require that specific apparel be worn by Players during the Regional Finals and World Final. By participating, Players agree to wear such required apparel, if applicable.
- CONFIDENTIALITY: Sponsor requires that Players not disclose, and refrain from communicating (either privately or publicly via social media or otherwise), all information related to the Tournament without Sponsor’s consent and until any information related to the outcome of the applicable Round(s) of the Tournament has been made public. Players may be required to sign additional documentation accordingly.
- PLAYER/WINNER NOTIFICATIONS: Players who successfully advance to the Online Play-in Bracket, the Regional Finals and/or the World Final will be contacted via email, direct message or telephone by Sponsor and/or EA using the email address or telephone number provided at registration into the Tournament.
Each Player from the United States Region or the Canadian Region (or if a minor, his/her/their parent/legal guardian) who has qualified for the Regional Final or the World Final will be required, to the extent permitted by law, to (a) complete an Affidavit or Declaration of Eligibility, Publicity Release and Liability Waiver (the “Affidavit”), (b) complete an authorization form for a background check in connection with the Tournament (together with the Affidavit, the “Release Forms”), (c) complete any required tax documentation (as applicable), and (d) consent to a physical search at each of the Regional Finals and World Final. Each Player from the European Region (or if a minor, his/her/their parent/legal guardian) who has qualified for the Regional Finals or the World Final will be required to (a) complete a publicity release, (b) complete any required tax documentation (as applicable), and (c) consent to a physical search at each of the Regional Finals and World Final. Moreover, each Player agrees to participate in, and cooperate with, Sponsor in the creation and development of, content (including videos and other media) to support, advertise, and/or promote the Tournament, and to participate in, and be filmed, photographed, or otherwise recorded as part of, each of the Regional Finals and the World Final broadcasts. All Release Forms and other required documentation (as applicable) must be received by Sponsor by the date provided in the respective notifications.
If any Player (a) cannot be contacted after two attempts, (b) fails to respond and/or to provide any of the requested Release Forms and other required documentation (as applicable) within the required time period, (c) is in non-compliance with these Official Rules, (d) declines to or cannot accept a Prize, (e) fails to satisfactorily meet the requirements of the background check as determined by Sponsor, (f) fails to register, check-in for, participate in, complete or attend any Tournament games, as scheduled, or (g) forfeits during any Round of the Tournament, the respective Player may be disqualified by Sponsor, forfeit any rights in any Prize and/or no longer be eligible for a chance to win the applicable Prize. In the event that a Player is disqualified for any reason, Sponsor may select an alternate Player based on performance in the applicable prior Round (e.g., if a Player is disqualified before attending the Regional Finals, the next-highest performer in the applicable Online Play-in Bracket will advance, or if a Player is unable to attend the World Final, the next-highest available finisher in the applicable Regional Final will advance) who satisfies the aforementioned eligibility requirements. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any Player based on the results of any background check conducted at any time during the Tournament, including after the Tournament has ended.
Each Player who advances to or beyond the fourth round of an Online Play-in Bracket, each Player who wins a Regional Final (i.e., three (3) total Players), each Player who is the runner-up in a Regional Final (i.e., three (3) total Players), and the nine (9) Players who qualify for the World Final in accordance with the Official Rules will be considered Tournament winners (the “Winners,” each a “Winner”) and will be entitled to a prize (each a “Prize, or collectively, “Prizes”) as further described below.
THE WINNER(S) IS/ARE SUBJECT TO VERIFICATION BY SPONSOR, WHOSE DECISIONS ARE FINAL AND BINDING IN ALL MATTERS RELATED TO THE TOURNAMENT. A PLAYER IS NOT A WINNER OF ANY PRIZE UNLESS AND UNTIL PLAYER’S ELIGIBILITY HAS BEEN VERIFIED AND PLAYER HAS BEEN NOTIFIED THAT VERIFICATION IS COMPLETE, REGARDLESS OF WHAT THE GAME PLAY MAY INDICATE.
- PRIZES AND APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUE (“ARV)”: There is a total Prize pool of $151,700 USD in this Tournament with one hundred eleven (111) cash Prizes available to be won, as follows:
- Online Play-in Brackets
- Sixteen (16) Prizes for each of the six (6) Online Play-in Brackets, as follows:
1st Place: $1,000 USD
2nd Place: $500 USD
3rd – 4th Places: $300 USD (Each)
5th – 8th Places: $250 USD (Each)
9th – 16th Places: $200 USD (Each)
- Regional Finals
- Three (3) Regional Champions Prizes: $5,000 USD each
- Three (3) Regional Runner-up Prizes: $1,000 USD each
- World Final
- Eight (8) World Final Prizes, as follows:
1st Place: $60,000 USD
2nd Place: $17,500 USD
3rd Place: $12,000 USD
4th Place: $7,000 USD
5th – 8th Places: $2,000 USD (Each)
9th Place: $1,000 USD
In addition to the Prizes, Players who advance to any of the Regional Finals and the World Final will receive a travel package which includes costs for two (2) nights standard hotel; economy class air, rail or other transportation departing from a major transportation location nearest to the Player’s home to, and local travel within, the locations of the Regional Finals and the World Final, all determined by Sponsor in its reasonable discretion; and a daily per diem. In the event a Player has not reached the age of majority in his/her/their jurisdiction, but for clarity, is at least sixteen (16), the Player must be accompanied by his/her/their parent or legal guardian without exception and his/her/their parent/legal guardian will be responsible for his/her/their own travel expenses unless otherwise provided by Sponsor.
Players and parent/legal guardian (if applicable) must be available to travel between the departure and return dates for the Regional Finals and the World Final as determined by Sponsor or the Player will be disqualified. A parent/legal guardian must have reached the age of majority in his/her/their jurisdiction of residence. A parent/legal guardian from the United States Region and the Canadian Region will be required to sign a travel and publicity release and, a parent/legal guardian from the European Region will be required to sign a publicity release, in order to accompany the applicable Player.
Travel arrangements are subject to availability, blackout dates and other restrictions. If applicable, parent/legal guardian must travel on the same itinerary as the Player. All Players and, if applicable, parent/legal guardian must have all required valid passports and visas at the time of departure from the respective country including up to and including the time of return to the respective country. There are no changes to travel allowed except as approved by Sponsor in its discretion. If a Player’s residence is in close enough proximity to the destination, Sponsor may provide ground travel in lieu of air travel in its discretion.
The ARV of each Prize is in U.S. Dollars and will be determined by each Winner’s portion of the prize pool and the ARV of the respective travel provided (for example, ARV of travel portion is $6000 USD using a sample Stockholm to Las Vegas itinerary). All details and other restrictions of Prize not specified in these Official Rules will be determined by Sponsor. Actual value of travel package may be lower or higher at the time of its fulfillment, and any difference between actual value and the stated ARV (if actual value is lower than stated ARV) will not be awarded. Sponsor will furnish an Internal Revenue Service (“IRS”) Form 1099 to a Winner or other Player who is a United States Citizen or Resident (as defined by the IRS) or an IRS Form 1042-S to a Winner or Player who is not a United States Citizen or Resident for the ARV of Prize and/or any travel provided hereunder with an ARV of $600 USD or greater for the year in which Prize was won/travel taken. Where applicable and as required by United States law, Sponsor shall withhold and remit to the IRS a tax equal to 30% of the gross ARV on payments to the foregoing Winners/Players. Further, such Winners/Players will be required to provide Sponsor with IRS Form W-9 (if United States Citizen or Resident) or IRS Form W-8 BEN (if not). Residents of the European Region will be required to provide Sponsor with bank account information to receive a wire for the payment of Prizes.
Any and all remaining applicable country, federal, provincial, state, and local taxes and all fees, costs and expenses related to acceptance and use of any Prize or travel provided hereunder not specifically stated herein as being included as part of the Prize, including but not limited to, VAT taxes, change of air travel fees, ground transportation, automobile insurance, meals, incidentals, passenger tariffs or duties, surcharges, service charges or facility charges, personal charges at lodging, security fees and/or other expenses, are the responsibility solely of winning Players. All US and local tax reporting, including the filing of relevant tax returns, is the responsibility solely of the Players. Prize cannot be substituted, assigned, or transferred by Players; however, Sponsor reserves the right to make equivalent prize substitutions. Only the number of Prizes stated in these Official Rules are available to be won in the Tournament. If, by reason of a print or other error, more Prizes are claimed than the number set forth in these Official Rules, an alternate winner will be selected in accordance with the winner selection method described above from among all eligible claimants making purportedly valid claims to award the advertised number of Prizes available.
Winner and, if applicable, parent/legal guardian must comply with all venue policies and event terms and conditions. Sponsor reserves the right to revoke the full or partial Prize from the Winner or Winner’s parent/legal guardian who it or venue personnel deem, in its discretion, may be intoxicated, be a safety risk, have violated any venue policy or law, or may bring the Tournament Entities into disrepute.
- RELEASE; INDEMNIFICATION; DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY: By participating in this Tournament, Players (or if minors, his/her/their parent/legal guardians) agree to release, indemnify, defend and hold harmless each of the Tournament Entities and each of their respective officers, directors, governors, members, parent companies, partners, partnerships, principals, owners, employees, volunteers, representatives, agents, affiliates (past, present and future), subsidiaries, related entities, successors and assigns (collectively, the "Released Parties"), from any and all liability for any loss, harm, damage, injury, cost or expense of any nature whatsoever (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) (collectively, “Losses”) which may occur in connection with a breach or alleged breach of any representations, warranties or agreements of Player hereunder. Each Player from the United States Region and the Canadian Region further agrees to release, indemnify, defend and hold harmless each of the Released Parties from any and all Losses which may occur in connection with (a) the Tournament or any element thereof, including entry or participation therein, (b) delivery, possession, acceptance and/or use or misuse of any Prize, travel package or component thereof, or (c) participation in any Tournament-related activity or Prize-related activity including without limitation in each case any Losses that may be caused or contributed to by (i) any wrongful, negligent or unauthorized act or omission on the part of any of the Released Parties, or any of their independent contractors or any other person or entity not an employee of any of the Released Parties, or (ii) any other cause, condition or event whatsoever beyond the control of any of the Released Parties. Each Player from the European Region agrees to release, indemnify, defend and hold harmless each of the Released Parties from any and all Losses which may occur in connection with a culpable action of the Player to the detriment of one of the Released Parties. Each Player hereby acknowledges that the Released Parties have neither made nor are in any manner responsible or liable for, and hereby disclaim, any warranty, representation, condition or guarantee, express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to the Prize, travel package or any components thereof and that, except as prohibited by applicable law, the Prize is provided "as is" without warranty or condition of any kind, either express or implied. The Released Parties are not responsible if any Prize cannot be awarded due to cancellations, delays, or interruptions due to acts of god, acts of war, natural disasters, weather, or terrorism. By participating in this Tournament, Player agrees that the Released Parties will not be responsible or liable for any damages, or losses of any kind (other than personal injury or death), including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, or punitive damages to persons or to property arising out of access to and use of any website associated with this Tournament or the downloading from and/or printing material downloaded from such site, however provided that no member of the Released Parties acted intentionally or with gross negligence.
- PUBLICITY: For Players from the United States Region and the Canadian Region, participation in the Tournament and acceptance of a Prize and travel package, as applicable, constitutes a Player’s (or if a minor, his/her/their parent’s/legal guardian’s) agreement and consent to Sponsor’s, EA’s and their affiliates’, agents’ or affiliated third parties' use of the Player’s names, gamer tags, nicknames, image or likenesses, photographs, voices, opinions and/or city, state, province, country, game footage (including, but not limited to, that from any game that has been live streamed, broadcast, or recorded), biographical information and/or prize information in connection with the Tournament for promotional, advertising or other purposes in any media now known or hereafter devised including the internet, worldwide, without further payment or consideration, notice, review or approval. Notwithstanding, if requested, Player will sign, (or if a minor, will cause his/her/their parent/legal guardian to sign), any documentation required by Sponsor to perfect or otherwise with respect to the foregoing consent. Furthermore, Players understand that Sponsor and/or its agents will record, photograph and otherwise document the Tournament (“Footage”). Player agrees and consents that, as between the parties, Sponsor shall own the Footage and all materials provided by Player to Sponsor, EA and/or their respective agents in connection with the Tournament (“Submissions”), including copyright, trademark and other proprietary rights associated therewith, and Sponsor, its successors, assigns and licensees, shall have the right to edit, exploit, adapt, sublicense, distribute, post, create derivative works from, copy, store, operate with computers and other data processing equipment (e,g. mobile phones, smart phones, tablet PCs, e-pads or e-readers), use, offer and distribute by all means of transmission (known or unknown), make publicly available via all means, use the Footage or Submissions, in whole or in part, and in combination with other materials, in any manner, for any advertising, promotional, trade, commercial or other purposes in any and all media, now known or hereafter developed, worldwide in perpetuity and, to the extent allowed under the applicable laws, without further payment or consideration, notification or permission. Notwithstanding this paragraph, such Player may be required to sign the Affidavit to confirm the foregoing. Players from the European Region will be required to sign a publicity release. Each Player will indemnify the Tournament Entities, Released Parties and any licensee of Sponsor and/or EA against all claims, damages, liabilities, and expenses (including reasonable counsel fees and legal expenses) arising out of any breach of these terms.
- GENERAL CONDITIONS: All decisions of Sponsor in connection with this Tournament shall be binding and final in all respects. Sponsor reserves the right to terminate, cancel, suspend and/or modify the Tournament, if intervening circumstances warrant, within Sponsor’s discretion, due to any fraud, virus or other technical problem which corrupts the administration, security, or proper entry or play into the Tournament, or for any other reason. In such event, Sponsor and EA reserve the right to award the respective Prize(s) from among the eligible Submissions received up to the time of the termination, cancellation, suspension and/or modification. ANY ATTEMPT BY ANY PLAYER OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS TOURNAMENT, ANY WEBSITE AND OR SPONSOR/EA PLATFORM ASSOCIATED WITH THIS TOURNAMENT MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAW, AND, SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR AND/OR EA RESERVE THE RIGHT TO PROSECUTE AND SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. SPONSOR’S FAILURE TO ENFORCE ANY TERM OR PROVISION OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES SHALL NOT CONSTITUTE A WAIVER OF THAT TERM OR PROVISION. THIS PROGRAM IS IN NO WAY SPONSORED OR ADMINISTERED BY ANY OF THE OTHER INELIGIBLE ENTITIES EXCEPT FOR SPONSOR.
- LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY: Without limiting anything set forth above in these Official Rules, Sponsor and/or EA and their agents are not responsible for (a) any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by Players, printing errors or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Tournament; (b) technical issues or failures of any kind, including, but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines or hardware, software or internet issues; (c) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Tournament; (d) technical or human error which may occur in the administration of the Tournament or the processing of game play or registrations; (e) play entered through the use of any robotic or automated device/computer program or any other non-human mechanism, entity, or device; (f) play in excess of the stated limits; (g) any technical or human error which may occur in the creation, submission, assignment or processing of games and/or leaderboards in the Tournament, including any technical or human error in connection with any social media platforms, Tournament website and/or the hosting thereof; (h) plays, Prize claims or notifications that are not received by the intended recipient due to transmission, technical, computer or human failures or error of any kind, including any plays, Prize claims or notifications that are delayed, misdirected, or undelivered as a result of any failure or problem with the availability, functionality, operability or use of any network, server, ISP, website, computer, internet connection, hand-held mobile device, social media platform, or any other equipment or connection used in connection with the Tournament; (i) changes in a Player’s (or if a minor, his/her/their parent/legal guardian’s) information which affects the ability to contact such Player (or, where applicable, his/her/their parent/legal guardian); (j) typographical errors in Tournament promotional material; (k) cancellations and/or delays or any change by any company or any other persons providing any of components of the Prize due to reasons beyond the control of any of the Released Parties; (l) any interruptions/postponement/cancellation of Tournament; (m) human error, incorrect or inaccurate transcription of Player information; (n) any technical malfunctions of the computer on-line system, computer dating mechanism, computer equipment, software, any social media platform, or internet service provider utilized by any of the Released Parties or by Player; (o) interruption or inability to access the Tournament, any Tournament-related web pages (including the Tournament website), any social media platform, or any on-line service via the Internet due to hardware or software compatibility problems; (p) any damage to Player’s (or any third party’s) computer and/or its contents related to or resulting from any part of the Tournament; (q) any lost/delayed data transmissions, omissions, interruptions, defects; and/or (r) any other errors or malfunctions, even if caused by the negligence of any one or more of the Released Parties.
For clarity, in the European Region, the foregoing will not apply to the extent due to Sponsor’s and/or EA’s gross negligence or willful misconduct or to the extent resulting in a Player’s bodily injury or death. If, for any reason, the Tournament is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus or bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of Sponsor and/or EA, which corrupt or affect the operation, administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Tournament, Sponsor may void any suspect entries; modify the Tournament or suspend the Tournament to address the impairment and then resume the Tournament in a manner that best conforms to the spirit of these Official Rules; and/or award the Prize to an alternate potential Winner in accordance with the criteria described above.
- DISPUTES: Except where prohibited, Player agrees that: (a) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Tournament or any Prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the courts situated in New York, NY; (b) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Tournament, but in no event solicitors’/attorneys’ fees or other costs of bringing a claim; (c) under no circumstances will Player be permitted to obtain awards for, and Player hereby waives all rights to claim, indirect, punitive, incidental, exemplary, and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased; and (d) in no event shall Players rescind his or her agreement to these Official Rules or seek injunctive or any other equitable relief. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, and/or the rights and obligations of the Player and Sponsor and/or EA in connection with the Tournament, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of New York, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules, which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than that of New York.
Players further agree that Sponsor and/or EA and their agents, affiliates, subsidiaries, representatives or service providers may use a Player’s personal information for future marketing by Sponsor and/or EA in accordance with applicable laws. Please see each of EA’s and Sponsor’s privacy policies for information about the choices that may be available to opt out of such promotional communications. By participating in this Tournament, each Player acknowledges his/her/their agreement to the terms of Sponsor’s and EA’s privacy policies and to the extent necessary under applicable law, consents to the sharing of personal data among Sponsor and EA as described in these Tournament Rules.
- WINNERS LIST: For the names of the Winners, available after June 30, 2020 send a self-addressed envelope to be received by July 31, 2020 to: NHL, 1185 Avenue of the Americas, 15th Floor, New York, NY 10036 (USA), Attn: NHL gaming world championship
- AMENDMENTS: These Official Rules may be amended, modified or supplemented by Sponsor from time to time, in order to ensure fair play and the integrity of Tournament matches.
NHL and the NHL Shield are registered trademarks and NHL Gaming World Championship name and logo are trademarks of the National Hockey League. © NHL 2020. All Rights Reserved.